Monday, June 11, 2012

A little history...


 ...on why I've gotten into this tomato thing:

Back a couple of years ago, I took a trip with a couple of friends to a festival in Fredericksburg TX. The festival included interesting booths, friendly people and lots of fun. We spent the night in Fredericksburg, and spent the next day snooping around the quaint little shops everywhere in town. There were lots of visitors, and everyone seemed to be really enjoying their visit.

The visit got me thinking about the small town where I was born and reared. Where Fredericksburg is booming with lots of entrepreneurs and pride in the community, my town is sort of drying up. There are many empty buildings downtown, most young adults tend to move away, and there is a feeling of giving up.

Why? Why is Fredericksburg growing and thriving when our little town is shrinking and dying? Yes, Fredericksburg is in the Texas hill country which is beautiful. But we have rolling hills with oak and pecan trees. We are in the middle between Austin, San Antonio and Houston.

What did Fredericksburg do that we didn’t? What are they doing that we’re not?

After returning home, I spent a lot of time thinking about my question. One thing I realized is that Fredericksburg has always been known for their peaches. They still are. They are capitalizing on what they do best. They sell peaches, peach products, stores have peach names, and more. Other businesses have branched from there. They capitalize on what they do best. Hmmm….

Can’t we do that? What do we do best?

I started asking questions….

No comments:

Post a Comment