Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hello from deep in tomato land!


I've really been working through this whole tomato plan of mine. It is coming together more and more. But first things first.

My tomato soap is looking really good. It's supposed to dry for 4 to 6 weeks. It smells really lemony luscious. I can't wait for it to be ready!
Next on my list is tomato lotion. Supposed to be good to close large pores, soothing for rashes, acne and sunburn. Still collecting my ingredients for the lotion. Maybe I can make some tomorrow.


AND-I ordered me a dehydrator! I can use it to dry tomatoes, herbs and so much more.
I just got it the other day. I am drying my first batch of tomatoes now.

Then I'll be ready to try some more soap. I'm also going to make tomato powder. It can be used in sauces, stews, soups etc.

Ok-so here's what I'm thinking. Yoakum's soil and climate is conducive to growing tomatoes. That's one of the things that helped Yoakum grow back in the 30's and 40's. Maybe the tomato industry can be resurrected in this area (and expanded upon) to help boost its ailing economic base.

Yoakum is known for tomatoes, leathergoods, meat processing and, more recently, ranchwear. So why not work with, improve on and branch out from what's already successful or has been successful in the past? The way I see it, all of Yoakum's industries could play off each other quite well.

I'm gonna keep stewin' on it.... see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I want to buy a bar of soap and design your packaging! Love all of your product ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And see that's what I think the Yoakum industries should do!! Work together for success! Have you ever done a tomato line for DDR? I know the leather companies make the Ykm royalty are dressed by y'all and have banners from a leather company.

      I think we should have a sit-down with Mr. Jemelka (Circle Y right?), TexTan, Eddy Pack and the Kusaks of Ykm Pack and see what kind of 'cross-over' ideas we could come up with that would market everyone's products in different ways, for the good of all. That's part of what I think successful small towns do....work together for everyone's benefit.

      I'd like to sit and talk about it. I'll drive to Seguin one day next week, if you want to.... What do you think??

      Delete