Thursday, June 28, 2012

Finishing the Cycle

I made another batch of soap today. I added tomato extract, dried tomato peel and rosemary. I also began my final step of the cycle for the first year of my tomato 'retirement plan'. Starting the seed drying stage in preparation for next planting season. I'm keeping three kinds of seeds: two plum tomatoes, one red and one yellow, and my homesteads. When you save seeds, you are supposed to actually let them ferment (rot). That kills any diseases that may be residing within the tomato. Then you collect the seeds, dry them out and store until next season.

I'm also working on some tomato history as well as some tomato brands from long ago. The biggest tomato shipper in Yoakum back in the 40's was Polagan: the brand of  Albert K. Polis and Carl O. Hagan. I found the label that was on their wooden crates:



Here are the wrappers that were used to wrap the green tomatoes before they were stacked in the crates:


Can you believe that the wrapper above was found in one of the old tomato sheds by the railroad tracks here in Yoakum? Pretty cool, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment