Friday, May 3, 2013

New Home on Tomato Row

Since the Tomato Shed's 'birth' last summer, things have been steadily falling into place. And I'm having so much fun!! This year I have a garden full of heirloom tomatoes I grew from my own seed from last year. I've made several batches of soap, and am trying to perfect my recipe and the scent of the soap. This summer, in addition to soap, I intend to experiment with tomato lotion.


In the mean time, I have met some very nice people and found some wonderful vintage furniture pieces to paint and add some Tomato Shed 'personality'. I like to paint in bright colors, distress, glaze, wax -- whatever the piece of furniture tells me it wants. I also add patterns and textures once in awhile. I feel like it makes the furniture smile.  :)

Probably none of the furniture I paint has a high monetary value, but it's fun to think of the history of the pieces -- the people who sat in the chairs, ate from the tables, raised their children -- lived their lives with these pieces of furniture helping along the way. To me it's so much more fun to have furniture with a history than some that's 'Made in China'. Especially when the furniture is dressed to party!!

The Tomato Shed has now attended two Market Day Shows in Hallettsville with a fair amount of success. It is so cool when people actually like what you create. What fun to see someone fall in love with a piece of furniture in it's new 'clothes' and take it home to start the next chapter. The next Market Days Show is May 18, and we'll be there again.

And, most exciting of all, starting in May, I have an actual retail location!! The Tomato Shed is the first of hopefully many vendors who will inhabit Tomato Row in Yoakum. Many of the old buildings of Tomato Row are actual tomato sheds from the 30's and 40's. I can't think of a better location for my Tomato Shed!! Will be open on Saturdays soon -- 9 am to 4 pm. Probably in a couple of weeks.

Going to load the trailer to take more to the Shed. Come see me. Maybe you'll go home with some Yoakum Tomato Soap or even a new furniture friend! Either way, come by for a visit. The whole point of this thing is to have fun!! Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment