Monday, June 30, 2014

Something From Nothing


Today I cleaned and rearranged my 'stash' of furniture I've collected the past few years. I came to a definite realization.....I HATE PRESSBOARD! 

It's a downright shame when a decent piece of furniture (or one you thought was decent) comes in contact with a tad of dampness and absolutely ruins. My furniture stash is in our old barn. Therefore it is not a temperature controlled, water proof environment. (That would be every furniture collector's dream!)  But-hey-it's all I have. So I now have the beginnings of a bonfire pile...😢.

The worst thing is when furniture is made of a mix of good wood and pressboard. That's when the real frustration sets in. The piece could be good, except for the bottom of a drawer or the side of a cabinet. Yes, I know, the pressboard could be replaced on these pieces, but the reality is the piece isn't worth all that extra work. That's what I ran into this morning. So-here's what I did!

This little side table was ruined. 

This is an example of a piece that had some nice woodwork on it, but the pressboard had crapped out. So, I used a wonder bar ( which is wonderful by the way) and a hammer and took off the nicer wood architectural pieces. 
The pieces were nailed and glued on. The wonder bar pried 'em right off without damaging the wood piece. (It demolished the pressboard though, which in a weird way was kind of satisfying ☺️) 

So here's what I ended up with:
A nasty piece ready for hate bonfire pile. But also:
Some kind of nice little architectural pieces I can add to other furniture of upcycled salvage.  Kind of cool, huh?

Lesson for the day: even some of the yuckiest furniture can have some value, and can live on in part. I guess it's kind of like organ donation!!


No comments:

Post a Comment